It is around this time every year that I like to offer my list of the best of the year so far to my faithful readers. Well, the best that I have watched anyway, I know for sure that there is a lot more out there to see than just what I put forward, but if I was recommending, these are the TV programs and movies that I believe deserve your attention, your time and your energy so far. So, in no particular order -
- Atlanta S3 - Drama SBS
- Our Flag Means Death - Comedy Foxtel
- Severance - Mystery/ Sci Fi Apple+
- EVIL S2 - Horror Stan
- Ozark S4 - Crime/ Drama Netflix
- The Pentaverite - Comedy Netflix
- Peacemaker - Comedy/ Super Foxtel
- After Party - Mystery Apple+
- This is Going to Hurt - Docuseries Foxtel
- Stranger Things S4 - Sci Fi Netflix
- The Outlaws - Comedy/ Drama Prime
- Bloods S2 - Comedy Stan
- The Boys S3 - Super Prime
- Pam and Tommy - Drama Disney
- Love, Death and Robots S3 - Sci Fi/ Animation Netflix
- Love on the Spectrum US - Reality Netflix
- Cursed Films S2 - Documentary Shudder
- Lizzo's - Watch Out for the Big Grrrls - Reality Prime
- Moon Knight - Super Disney
- The Batman - Super
- Fresh - Thriller
- I Want You Back - Rom/Com
- The Northman - Action
- Nitram - Gritty
- Everything, Everywhere All At Once - Fantasy
- Hellbender - Horror
- Spiderman - No Way Home -Super
Release Date: 2022
Running Time: 176 mins
The latest offering in the DC comic world, The Batman directed by Matt Reeves plunges us back into the seedy underbelly of Gotham City in perhaps the most gothic and dark portrayal of Batman so far. It was universally praised by fans and critics alike for it performances, score and cinematography and quickly became one of the highest grossing films of 2022.
A masked psychopath calling himself the Riddler begins a grisly killing spree across Gotham City, leaving notes for the Batman at every crime scene. Batman must try to uncover the true identity of the Riddler and put his diabolical plans to an end before more lives are lost.
All of the original villains are back in action here with The Penguin, Cat woman and the Riddler all making an appearance and they are a far cry from their first portrayals in the Tim Burton originals. In fact the entire Batman franchise has shifted gear again; moving further into the realms of lavish noir and further from the comic book cheap thrills of its earlier days.
Across the board the cast is fantastic, with notable efforts from Zoe Kravitz, Paul Dano, Andy Serkis, John Turturro and Colin Farrell. Robert Pattinson has the lead role and portrays Batman with an entirely new level of broody emo that the character was missing from previous instalments. And although this is not my favourite Batman movie, I do think that Pattinson may be my favourite Batman to date.
Almost as good as The Dark Knight, and certainly as visually appealing, The Batman although clearly overlong, is a worthy and enjoyable superhero watch.
FINAL SAY: Fear is a tool. When that light hits the sky, it's not just a call. It's a warning.
3.5 Chilli Peppers